MAYWEATHER SAYS HE 'CANT AFFORD' TO GIVE PACQUIAO A 50/50 SPLIT

Boxers Pacquiao of the Philippines and Bradley Jr. of the U.S. face off during a news conference to announce their upcoming WBO welterweight championship fight, in Los Angeles 

 "I got on the phone directly with Manny. I done my homework and saw what he was making for big fights. The offer that I made him, I offered him $40 million and told him that I would wire him $20 million in 72 hours," American boxer Floyed Mayweather Jr. said, according to ABS-CBN News.

But Filipino boxing icon Manny Pacquiao refused to accept the offer saying the $40-million guarantee, but with no share of the pay-per-view money, Mayweather was trying to take advantage of him.

Instead, Pacquiao made a counter-offer, which would be a 45-45 split of the revenue, with the winner of the bout taking home the remaining 10%.

Mayweather said "At this particular time, I'm not just the highest paid guy in the sport of boxing, I'm the highest paid athlete. I'm not giving up the split. I'm not. I can't. I can't afford to. I gave this sport my whole life. I've been dominating this sport. I have record breaking numbers that I've done. He (Pacquiao) has no record breaking numbers."

Currently, Pacquiao is the WBO Welterweight Champion. Sporting news and boxing websites rated him as the ‘best pound for pound’ boxer in the world after having won six titles in eight boxing division, as well as the first to win the lineal championship in four different weight classes. He was also named ‘Fighter of the Decade’ for the 2000 by the Boxing Writers Association of America and received the ‘Fighter of the Year’ Award for 2006, 2008 and 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment