WHY DID BOBBY BROWN LEAVE WHITNEY HOUSTON'S FUNERAL EARLY?

Bobby Brown walked out of Whitney Houston’s funeral Saturday just 20 minutes after the service started at the New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey. The cause of the R&B singer’s early departure from his ex-wife’s memorial service was not immediately known.

A visible angry Bobby Brown was spotted leaving the church premises with his wife, Alicia Etheridge, and his son, Landon, in tow. The singer later issued a statement to explain the reason behind leaving the funeral service early.

"My children and I were invited to the funeral of my ex-wife Whitney Houston," Bobby Brown said in a statement. "We were seated by security and then subsequently asked to move on three separate occasions. I fail to understand why security treated my family this way and continued to ask us and no one else to move. Security then prevented me from attempting to see my daughter Bobbi Kristina.”

"In light of the events, I gave a kiss to the casket of my ex-wife and departed as I refused to create a scene. My children are completely distraught over the events. This was a day to honor Whitney. I doubt Whitney would have wanted this to occur,” the New Edition singer said, adding: “I will continue to pay my respects to my ex-wife the best way I know how.”

Bobby Brown joined his former mother-in-law Cissy Houston, his 18-year-old daughter with Whitney Houston, Bobbi Kristina, and her cousin Dionne Warwick at the New Hope Baptist Church in her native Newark to commemorate the legendary singer.

But Brown left the service even before filmmaker Tyler Perry and Kevin Costner, Whitney Houston's “The Bodyguard” co-star, took to the pedestal to pay tribute to the deceased pop legend.

A close friend of the Houston family explained the situation to CNN, saying that Brown was expected to attend with two guests but came up with 10 people.

"The family approached Bobby and told him that he could stay in the area reserved for family, but that his guests would need to move to a different section to make room for Cissy and the rest of the family," the family friend said. "Bobby said no. The police told Bobby that he could stay in the area reserved for family, but that his guests needed to move. Bobby said no, and left with all of his guests."

Reports earlier this week suggested Bobby Brown, 43, had been banned from attending the memorial by Houston's family because they blamed him for Whitney Houston’s problems with substance abuse.

Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston, 48, divorced in 2007 after a turbulent 15-year marriage. Houston was found dead in her Beverly Hilton Hotel room last Saturday. A cause of death has yet to be determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment